International Trade Operations

What Export Documentation is needed ?  Even if you are using a freight forwarder, you need to understand some of the common forms of documentation that are needed for exporting. The ITA provides a list of Common Export Documents.

In addition, you may need  a Certificate or Origin, an ATA Carnet, a Letter of Credit (LC), or other documents depending on your product and your destination country.

Export Documentation

The ITA outlines some of the standard documentation required for international shipping in this 3 minute video.

The ITA offers guidance for U.S. exporters and freight forwarders about the various forms of export documentation:

About the EEI Form and the AES System

The EEI (electronic export information) form must be filed for export of physical goods to foreign countries and Puerto Rico. The EEI is used  by the U.S. Department of Commerce to gather trade statistics and by the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and other government agencies for trade compliance.