NYC Data: What's In This Guide
This guide will help you locate data for New York City's boroughs and neighborhoods. The data may be organized in profiles (several pieces of data for one place) or comparative tables (one piece of data for many places). When looking for data, you will often have to balance geographic availability with currency and data format. Most of the sources in this guide are publically available; the US Census Bureau and various City and State agencies are the main sources.
Boroughs vs. Counties
Larger than neighborhoods, boroughs and counties are the same areas with different names. Borough names are used by city agencies and the media while county names are used by state and federal agencies:
- The Bronx is Bronx County (ANSI / FIPS 36005)
- Brooklyn is Kings County (ANSI / FIPS 36047)
- Manhattan is New York County (ANSI / FIPS 36061)
- Queens is Queens County (ANSI / FIPS 36081)
- Staten Island is Richmond County (ANSI / FIPS 36085)
Make an Appointment to Get Help
Any student or group of students can schedule a research consultation by completing this form. We will call or email you to set a date and time.
Learn how to:
- Focus your research topic
- Plan your research strategy
- Identify relevant sources of information
- Find and evaluate sources efficiently