What Is a Private Company?
- have no publicly traded shares
- may have shareholders and issue shares but these shares are not traded on an exchange
- not regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- do not have to file financial reports or make information about their operations available to the public
- often discourage any type of press coverage
- while many are small, family-owned businesses, quite a few are large and well known companies
- some are start-ups funded by private equity firms
- some are distressed companies that have been "taken private"
Private companies you might have heard of
- Mars candy
- Toys "R" Us